"Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in." -- author unknown
You don't need construction experience to volunteer with Habitat, just a willingness to learn. If you don't know how to do a task, we will train you. Sign up individually or as a group; work on new construction homes or homes we are repairing.
We are delighted so many of you are excited to work with us! To help us plan the right amount of work each day and provide the necessary site supervision, we must limit the number of volunteer shifts each day. By signing up for a specific shift, you reserve your spot!
- Click here to see our Volunteer Schedule of available dates.
- If you've never volunteered before, choose “Click here to register” at the bottom of the screen.
- Register with the system and pick your date.
GROUP CONSTRUCTION VOLUNTEERING
Want to bring a group from work, church, or elsewhere and spend the day on the construction site together? Check out our Habitat Team Builder brochure or visit our group page for more information. Then contact our Volunteer Coordinator to register your team.
CONSTRUCTION SITE HOURS
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday
All day shift: 8:15 AM - 4:00 PM
AM shift: 8:15AM - 11:45AM / PM shift: 12:30PM - 4:00PM
We work rain or shine!
CONSTRUCTION SITE - AGE POLICY
Because we are a construction site, safety is our #1 concern. Our insurance requires that we restrict the activities of volunteers under the age of 18. Below are the highlights of our age policy. More details are given in the online orientation.
- Under 16: We currently do not allow anyone under 16 on the construction site. If you have youth this age interested in helping, we suggest contacting the Volunteer Coordinator for ideas of things to do off-site.
- 16 - 17: Can participate in construction work, but cannot use power tools, do excavation or demolition, or work on rooftops. Groups of volunteers in this age range must provide at least one adult supervisor for every four youth volunteers.
- 18+: No restrictions.
SAFETY VIDEO - PLEASE WATCH BEFORE VOLUNTEERING
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
In inclement weather construction is canceled:
- When the the National Weather Service forecast that morning is a high less than 30 degrees
- If hazardous weather causes school closures by the Beaverton School District
- If the National Weather Service forecast that morning is 94 degrees or higher we will re-evaluate throughout the day and may close the site when the temperature reaches 94. Volunteers should make sure to dress accordingly and safely, and hydrate throughout the day. You are welcome to make a personal decision about leaving the site when you feel the temperature is too high.
COMMUNITY SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
Do you need your volunteer hours verified for a community service requirement? We can help. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator for our special instructions for community service volunteers.
Volunteers contribute more than muscle. Creativity, strategy, and technical skills are among the many invaluable traits volunteers bring to the organization. With a minimal staff, Willamette West Habitat for Humanity depends upon volunteer committees for support with projects like Homeowner Selection, Faith Relations, Women Build, Neighborhood Revitalization, even our Board of Directors are all volunteers. Interested? Contact our Volunteer Coordinator for more information.